PEMA-Kenya Trust is a charitable membership-based organization founded in 2008 as a Community Based Organization and in 2019 officially transitioned to a Charitable trust, whose work is premised upon creating an enabling environment for its members and the general population to thrive. We are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer (LGBTIQ)-led organization that works with LGBTIQ (Sexual and Gender minorities) individuals and communities as well as stakeholders seeking to bridge the gap that exists between the general population and gender and sexual minorities (GSM).PEMA Kenya is located in the Coastal town of Kenya, Mombasa.
PEMA Kenya seeks to recruit additional Board members to the membership governing board.
The Board of PEMA Kenya comprises of three elected members from the membership and in addition two more members from individuals with expertise in our area of our strategic objectives;
- Economic and Social Empowerment; and
- Institutional Strengthening
- Policy and Advocacy.
Professional background of our interest.
We are looking for individuals who are dedicated to enhancing the lives of the Sexual and Gender minorities through their areas of expertise ranging from Faith, Organizational Development, Medical, Legal, Media, Human Rights, Finance, etc
Governing Board member
Interested applicant must have the following experience.
- Working with Sexual and Gender minorities,
- Governance knowledge,
- Have no history of endangering the lives of Sexual and Gender minorities,
- Have areas of expertise they bring on Board,
- Believe and support promotion of women rights,
- Not working with organization with the same interests and objectives of PEMA Kenya.
- Determining the Organization’s Mission and Purpose
- Select and Support the Executive Director, and Review their Performance Periodically.
- Undertake Strategic Planning
- Ensure Adequate Resources
- Advocate for Those the Organization Serves
- Understand and Support the Organization’s Programs and Services
- Carefully Select and Induct the New Board Members
- Organize itself so that the board operates efficiently
- Ensure Effective Financial Management
- Ensure Sound Risk Management
- Evaluates Its Own Performance
Term of Service
Board members shall serve for a maximum duration of 2 three years terms (Total of six years)
The Pema Kenya Board of Directors comprises of leaders from the membership of Pema Kenya and external experts working within our focus areas and objectives in compliance to Pema Kenya’s Mission statement in realizing Its Vision for a society that embraces Justice and Diversity. To serve in the Pema Kenya Board of Governance is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about strengthening leadership and governance in the non-profit sector.
Board members are expected to have experience in any but not limited to finance, Organizational development, Human rights, Women empowerment, Gender and Sexuality, Progressive Faiths, Governance, Fundraising etc.
Board members are expected to attend four board meetings per year. They are expected to read board materials in advance of board meetings and to come prepared to ask questions and participate in discussions.
Board members are expected to serve on one or more committees of the board and to actively participate in committee work.
Board members are expected to play an active role in securing the financial resources necessary for PEMA Kenya to achieve its mission. Board members are expected to leverage personal relationships and connections to help the development committee and staff identify and solicit potential funders and personal contribution.
Board members are expected to responsibly represent PEMA Kenya to their respective communities and to advocate for PEMA Kenya’s mission, programs, and services as appropriate.
Board terms last for three years and board members can serve for up to two consecutive terms.
Board members are expected to prepare, organize and take lead in the organizational governance events such General members meetings.
PEMA Kenya believes in non-discrimination and therefore provides equal opportunity regardless of one’s ethnicity, faith, sexuality, gender identities, skin color, ability and disabilities.