|Job Title||Program Assistant -Health|
|Reports to||Program Officer -Health|
|Direct Reports||Service Providers and community beneficiaries|
|Location||Mombasa – Kenya|
About Pema Kenya
Pema Kenya is a membership-based organisation founded in 2008 whose work is premised upon creating an enabling environment for its members and the general population to thrive.
We are a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer (LGBTIQ)-led organisation that works with LGBTIQ individuals and communities as well as stakeholders seeking to bridge the gap that exists between the general population and gender and sexual minorities (GSM).
The position is responsible for assisting the Programs officer in coordinating the plans and activities of Pema Kenya’s health promotion and SRH activities.
- Key Responsibilities:
- Facilitate health projects supported by Pema Kenya and provide support to structures that implement programs including but not limited to hospitals, CHVs, Peer educators etc.
- Support structures/resource persons in raising awareness and conducting appropriate interventions on SRHR, HIV/AIDS, Mental health, Preventive health etc.
- Facilitate access and provision of safe sex commodities.
- Facilitate integrating, promoting greater access, and scale up of reproductive health services.
- Coordinate planning and implementation of SRHR projects with local implementing partners.
- Plan, organize and coordinate periodic implementation review with inter and intra teams.
- Track performance of planned project activities and budget.
- Preparation of technical and financial progress reports for all health projects and activities.
- Initiate the documentation and dissemination of project information.
- Maintain and/or develop productive relationships and communication with contact staff of implementing partners.
- Represent Pema Kenya in relevant stakeholders’ meetings.
- Support community advocacy on health, SRH issues affecting sexual and gender minorities.
- Support project and organizational reporting functions as relevant
- Participate in institutional strengthening processes, progress reviews and reporting as required
- Support in resource mobilization and sustainability initiatives as opportunities present
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the management from time to time.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
- Level of Education
Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or any other field related to Health.
Or in addition;
A diploma in project management, human rights, community development, Health related studies, finance and communication
- Competencies/Abilities/Skills Required
- Ability to cultivate constructive relationships.
- Strong interpersonal and public relation skills and able to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Able to work independently and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with rural/urban working environment
- Strong coordination skills and strong team orientation.
- Strong community mobilization skills.
- Strong networking skills.
- Counseling skills.
- Experience working with LGBTI organizations and individuals.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams and meet deadlines.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Computer literate and more so with MS Office, Suite, e.t.c.
- Flexibility and accessibility outside of work hours to address questions or concerns.
- Sound knowledge on legal and health Human Rights issues facing the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community in Kenya.
- Relevant Job Experience
- At least two (2) years’ experience in a public health area or SRH environment.
- Position Relationships:
|Within the Organization||Outside the Organization|
|All Staff||Cluster/member groupsRelevant Government departments and other AgenciesService providers|
- Authority/Decision Making:
The job is performed in accordance with standard procedures and guidance with need for independent decision.
- Working Conditions:
The job involves outreach interventions with regular field trips exposing the incumbent to different weather conditions.
Please e-mail your CV and motivation letter to the Pema Kenya through the following address email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject “Program Assistant. Health” before the deadline 20th February 2021.
Pema Kenya is an equal opportunity employer irrespective of age, ethnicity, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, HIV status or physical capabilities.
Persons who identify as LGBTIQ and / or Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification